Candied fruits are a sweetness that came to us from the east and won great popularity among professional cooks and housewives who love to treat their family with healthy and tasty goodies.
If necessary, we’re used to getting sweets on the way home in the nearest shops, but making candied oranges at home is much easier than it seems at first glance.
Try to make candied orange on your own at least once and you will see for yourself.
Candied oranges - the general principles of preparation
Cooking candied orange is not a big deal. The main thing is to pick up fresh non-spoiled fruits, rinse them thoroughly and boil them several times to remove the bitterness inherent in citrus fruits. The same process should be observed when preparing candied fruits from lemons, grapefruits, sweet, lime, tangerines.
In addition to the fruit itself, only sugar and water will be needed, just as you wish, you can use additional ingredients to decorate candied fruit: powdered sugar, chocolate and others.
Although the flesh, even the orange peel is boiled in sugar syrup with spices, it is then cooled and dried in the oven.
Cut the orange into small, but not too small pieces. It can be cubes, cubes, circles, stripes, stars - depending on taste and aesthetic preferences.
Store candied oranges in hermetically sealed non-transparent packaging for no more than 6 months.
Candied candied fruits can be eaten instead of sweets, added to pastries, decorated with tarts and cakes, pastries and other desserts. In addition, candied citrus is an excellent tonic to black and green tea, giving the drink a special freshness and taste.
1. Candied oranges
• 1.2-1.3 kg of oranges;
• two glasses of sugar;
• half a lemon (you can replace 2 g of citric acid);
• optional spices: vanilla, cinnamon;
• for decoration icing sugar.
1. We wash the oranges with special care, then pour them over with boiling water.
2. Cut the prepared fruit into small cubes with a thickness of not more than half a centimeter.
3. Put the chopped cubes into a suitable pan, fill with cold water so that it covers the orange completely. Cook after boiling for about five minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, rinse the bars in cold water, put it on the fire again. Repeat the process with cooking 3-4 times - this will remove the bitterness inherent in the orange peel.
4. After the fourth cooking, we throw the orange sticks into a colander, letting the liquid drain completely.
5. Pour three glasses of water into a clean pan, pour sugar and citric acid, add spices to taste.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, put the prepared orange in the resulting syrup.
7. Cover the pan with a lid, turn down the heat. Tomim candied oranges 1.5 hours. This time is enough for candied fruit soaked in sugar syrup and become transparent.
8. When the time for cooking expires, we are in no hurry to remove the candied fruits from the pan, let them cool completely in syrup, then we recline them in a colander, allowing the sweets to dry out a little.
9. Roll the finished candied fruit in icing sugar, place it carefully on a baking sheet covered with parchment.
10. Dry for 40 minutes in an oven preheated to 90 degrees.
2. Candied orange peel
• one and a half glasses of granulated sugar;
• peels from five to seven oranges;
• 2 g of citric acid.
1. Remove the peel from oranges, put it in a pan.
2. To remove the bitterness, fill the peel with water, boil for 5 minutes, drain the water. Repeat the boiling procedure 3-5 times.
3. After repeated boiling, when the peels are ready directly for the preparation of candied fruits, we discard them in a colander, allowing the water to drain.
4. Cut the finished crust into small pieces: cubes, squares, figures.
5. Pour one and a half glasses of water into the pan, pour sugar, boil the syrup.
6. Once the granulated sugar has completely dissolved, pour the prepared orange peels. Boil for 45-50 minutes.
7. 5-8 minutes before cooking, pour citric acid and mix.
8. We shift candied fruits into a colander at the end of cooking, and after the excess syrup flows down, put them on parchment on a baking sheet.
9. We send it to the oven for 40 minutes, setting the temperature to 100 degrees.
3. Candied oranges in chocolate
• three not large oranges;
• 350 grams of sugar;
• 300 ml of water;
• 50 grams of cocoa;
• 2 tbsp. l powdered sugar;
• 30 ml cream.
1. Pour oranges thoroughly washed for 10 minutes with boiling water, rinse, pour again. We recline in a colander.
2. Once the oranges dry, cut them into thin circles 3-5 mm thick.
3. Put the circles of oranges in a saucepan, pour them with boiling syrup made from water and sugar.
4. Stir the oranges over low heat for about an hour.
5. We transfer the transparent golden candied citrus fruits to the wire rack in the oven, dry for 15 minutes at 100-120 degrees.
6. In the meantime, candied fruit reaches full readiness, cook chocolate from cocoa, cream and powdered sugar: mix all the ingredients thoroughly, bring to a boil, simmer, stirring all the time, 5 minutes.
7. Dip the orange mugs into the cooled chocolate, put it on the baking paper and send it to the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.
4. Fragrant mannik with candied oranges
• a glass of milk;
• a glass of semolina;
• 1 2 glasses of vegetable oil;
• a glass of flour;
• two eggs;
• slaked vinegar;
• candied oranges - the amount to taste.
1. Pour semolina into a bowl, pour the cereal with warm milk. Mix thoroughly, leave for 30 minutes, allowing semolina to swell.
2. While the croup reaches the condition we need, we separate the proteins from the yolks.
3. Beat the proteins, pouring sugar to them, until a stable foam is formed.
4. Pour flour into the resulting protein mass, extinguish soda with vinegar, and gently stir until smooth.
5. In another container, beat the butter with yolks, and then combine both mixtures in one large bowl.
6. Add the swollen semolina to the mixture, mix so that the mass is obtained without a single lump.
7. Grease a special baking dish with margarine, sprinkle with semolina.
8. Pour the dough into the mold.
9. Spread candied oranges on top in a chaotic manner, slightly drown them with a fork in the dough.
10. We bake the mannik for 30 minutes, turning on the oven 180 degrees.
11. Take out the baked goods after it has completely cooled down.
5. Curd pie with candied oranges
• 100-120 grams of candied orange;
• 500 grams of cottage cheese;
• two eggs;
• 0.5 cups of granulated sugar;
• 1.5 cups flour;
• a teaspoon of baking powder;
• vanilla sugar, icing sugar - to taste.
1. Beat the whites separated from the yolks to a white foam.
2. The remaining yolks are mixed with cottage cheese, sugar, vanilla sugar.
3. Put candied fruit in the yolks, mix, and then add the protein foam.
4. Mix the flour and baking powder.
5. Enter the flour mixture in small portions into the curd mass, mix.
6. Lubricate the silicone baking dish with butter, put the curd dough with candied oranges in it.
7. Cook at 200 degrees for about 45 minutes.
8. Sprinkle the finished cake with icing sugar.
6. Muffins with candied oranges
• candied fruits;
• 80 grams of sour cream;
• a glass of granulated sugar;
• two eggs;
• one and a half glasses of flour;
• 100 grams of margarine;
• soda, slaked with vinegar.
1. Melt in any convenient way, whether it be a microwave or a water bath, margarine. Cool it down.
2. Beat eggs with sugar, add sour cream and slaked soda to the mass. Mix.
3. Pour into the egg mass the cooled melted margarine, pour the flour and knead well.
4. Pour candied fruit. Once again, mix everything thoroughly, determine the amount of candied fruit according to your taste.
5. We spread the dough in silicone molds, filling them in height by 2/3.
6. Arrange the forms on a dry baking sheet, prepare muffins with candied oranges in an oven preheated to 200 degrees for half an hour.
Candied oranges - tips and tricks
• Small oranges with a thick peel are great for making candied fruits.
• If candied fruit is cooked correctly, then they should not stick to hands, they should be dry, but at the same time juicy, not stiff.
• You can not pour the syrup into the sink, but pour it into a sterile dish and use it to prepare various desserts: biscuits, sauces, and others.
• You can also use the remaining syrup to make the next batch of candied fruits.
• Do not use spoiled fruits for the preparation of delicacies, they will spoil not only the appearance of candied fruits, but also their taste.
• The longer you hold the orange after cooking in syrup, the sweeter the candied fruit will be.
• When preparing candied fruits, you can use various spices to give sweets special taste notes: cloves, star anise, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom. Just be careful with the amount of spices used, excess spices will simply interrupt the taste of orange, making candied fruits inedible.
• Prepared candied oranges can be rolled in melted chocolate, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, coconut, chopped almonds or walnuts.